[SI-LIST] Re: Power Supply Distribution/Filtering/Decoupling Guide]

  • From: "zhiping yang" <zhiping@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:55:15 -0800

Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and Very good points about the power
integrity.

One comment about your "total system approach".  Technically speaking, it is
best to put the equal amount of efforts on the die, package and PCB power
distribution since they are equally important in the complete power delivery
system.  More important, the PCB COULD NOT fix the problems with the die and
package power delivery systems in some cases.

In the real word, when cost and $$ is involved, the trade-offes must be
made, so the design may not be optimized in technical side.  For example,
due to the high cost of die size increase and package limitations, it may be
more cost effective by shifting the power integrity problem to the PCB level
at a certain degree.  This may require using BC or more decoupling caps on
the board, but it could still be cost effective from the "total system"
point view.

This is my $0.02 input.  Thanks.

Zhiping