[SI-LIST] Re: Power Supply Distribution/Filtering/Decoupling Guide]

  • From: Hal Murray <hmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:19:36 -0800

Interesting discussion.  Thanks.

> If there is anything to learn here, it is to take SI and packaging
> issues seriously in your component selection. Don't just let the
> system architect or board manager dictate what chip to use simply
> because it cost a few buck less or have this feature extra. Ask
> questions, look into data, review their package to make sure it also
> make sense in SI first. Assert yourself in the selection process. If
> you think there is not enough signal to ground pin ratio, raise you
> hand and ask why. ....

Suppose I'm a system/board level designer.

Aside from counting ground pins, is there anything in the data sheet that
will tell me how good a chip will be in this context?

What should I ask the vendor to discover if they have done a good job in this
area?  Count the bypass caps on the demo board?

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: