[SI-LIST] Re: Power Supply Distribution/Filtering/Decoupling Guide

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, mark.alexander@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 10:22:37 -0800

Jim,

The "myth" refers to the acceptability of spacing by such a wide
amount.  Mark is clearly aware of antiresonance, and did a very reasonable
job of discussing it in his application note.  For like mounted
inductances, a 10:1 spread in capacitance yields a 3:1 spread in SRF which
is wide enough to cause quite a bit of anti-resonant peaking.  Mileage
varies depending on the via attachments and distance to the planes, as well
as with capacitor packages.

To simplify a little bit, if the mounting inductance dominates, then the
total inductance won't change much even with package reduction, and the
SRF's will in-fact space about sqrt( C ratio ), and the anti-resonant peaks
will space about C_ratio ^ 0.25.  If the mounted inductance is not
dominant, then the SRF's, and anti-resonant peaks will spread further.  The
further they spread, the higher they are.

There has been a lot of good work, led by the folks at SUN in the late
1990's showing these effects.

There is also a devil with not using a spread in capacitor values, the
technique advocated by Henry Ott, and Howard Johnson, and that is the
anti-resonant peaking that occurs against the planes.  An ideal solution is
to use capacitors with a low mounted Q.  AVX has some, and a number of the
X2Y caps exhibit comparatively low Q's.  The alternative is to reproduce
bass-reflex loudspeaker design using techniques outlined by SUN, and now
embodied in both Cadence, and UltraCAD's tools.

Regards,

Steve.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org