[SI-LIST] Re: Power Integrity measurement equipment

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Heinrich.Smith" <heinrich.smith2005@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:01:53 -0500

Heinrich,

The first question is not really about measurements, it is about design
procedures.
Achieving 1mohm impedance on boards is not really practical at 100MHz.
As you say you would need many capacitors to do that, but there is a bigger
problem with that.  You cannot put all of those capacitors very close to
wherever you need to put them.  As soon as you spread them out, the
inductance
in the horizontal connection has to be considered.  1 milliohm at 100MHz
corresponds
to about 1.5pH inductance.  To get a horizontal connection which would not
limit the overall performance you would really need a thin film connection.
In practical board applications, you have to live with higher
inductances, and you
need packages and chips, which can tolerate the higher inductance on the
supply
rail.  As many repeatedly pointed out on this list, this also includes
the proper
assignment of return planes in the signal connection path.

Regarding the measurements with or without the DC-DC converter turned
on, you
can do it either way, but somehow you have to figure out the performance
with
the converter turned on, because that is the normal operating condition. If
you do that, you may be surprised to see how badly some converters may
interact
with your bulk capacitors.  Mainstrem converters may change your board
impedance
up to about 1MHz at most, higher-frequency resonances or just the impedance
profile above 1MHz will be hardly changing.

Best regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems, Inc.

List FAQ wiki page is located at: