[SI-LIST] Re: Power Integrity about Vtt of DDR

  • From: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Zhangkun" <zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx>,"silist" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 09:15:37 -0700

Zhangkun,
If you keep all the DQ, DQS and DM signals referenced to a ground plane,
there will be no power injection into the Vdd power/ground plates at DDR
switching frequency. (It is always preferable to have all DDR signals
referenced to a ground plane, including Address and Control.  But if you
have a choice, at least reference the data rate signals, as they have
the highest harmonic content.)  This reduces high frequency noise on the
VDD plane. What is left is the mid-frequency core power noise and
address/control switching noise which extends up to a hundred MHz or
so.  This can be adequeately decoupled by capacitors with the
appropriate consideration of ESL.  If you use large Vdd/gnd planes, you
run the risk of driving the resonant frequency of these planes down to
one of the lower harmonics of the core or I/O switching clocks.  Then
you will need to decouple these resonances with an excess of capacitance
to counter the anti-resonance peaks formed between the plane and the
capacitors.

In general, large planes do little to help matters.  You receive the
most benefit first from referencing signals to ground and second from
thin power/ground pairs. Large planes can oftentimes make matters
worse.  I realize this sounds like heresy, but it is very true.  The
problem then becomes in navigating around the plane splits or fill
areas,  embedding your power fill areas between several ground planes on
thick multi-layer boards,  and choosing the appropriate position in the
board stackup to reduce the overall mounted capacitor inductance for the
power layers.

For Vtt, in specific, a fill area on the surface of the board, with an
adjacent ground plane underneath,  which just encompases all of the
terminators and capacitors,  is extremely efficient.  Since one pad of
the capacitor is connected directly to the Vtt fill, and the other pad
uses vias dropped to the underlying ground plane several mils away, the
mounted inductance is extremely low, and approaches the inductance of
the capacitor body, itself.  You can make the plane large if you want,
to lower the Vdd fill area impedance, but do not make it so large that a
resonance is excited that will "sing" with the capacitors.  You would
like to keep the resonant frequency of the plane above at least 3X to 4X
the switching freqency.  For DDR 400, the switching frequency is 200
MHz.  As such, keep the plane resonance above 600 to 800 MHz for best
performance.  This dictates a maximum dimension of around 3.5 to 5
inches on FR4 laminates.  (Resonant frequency of a 5" cavity in FR4 @170
ps/in  is 1/(5*170e-12 *2), for the half-wave resonant point.)

regards,

scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
2926 SE Yamhill St.
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 239-5536
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark of

--

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
2926 SE Yamhill St.
Portland, OR 97214
(503) 239-5536
http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org