[SI-LIST] Re: Paper on BGA crosstalk and power system

  • From: Mark Alexander <mark.alexander@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcronin@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 12:14:26 -0800

Terry,
That's right -- there are A LOT of IO options available in both parts
(Virtex-4 and Stratix-2), so there ought to be a handful that match up
in hardware.

One difficulty I had in devising these tests was the IO configuration
restrictions of the Stratix-2 part.  In Virtex-4, any User IO can be
configured as any IO standard, so there's no restriction.  In Stratix-2,
banking restrictions prohibit the use of many of the IO standards.

In the case of the Stratix-2 spiral tests (accumulating and
non-accumulating), we wanted to fill two adjacent banks with toggling
IO, all with the same IO Standard and drive strength (to keep di/dt
constant across the toggling IO).  This meant we had to use an IO
standard available in both banks, pushing us to the lowest common
demoninator of the two adjacent banks.  This left only 1 drive strength
option available at 1.5V:  LVCMOS at 4mA drive.  Lack of slew rate
control in Stratix-2 takes away another degree of freedom.

At other voltages there's more drive strengths available in Stratix-2,
so I expect I'll have to go to a higher voltage.

-mark

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org