[SI-LIST] Re: PDS analysis?

  • From: "Bowden, Ivor" <ibowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Istvan Novak" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 06:56:13 -0700

Istvan,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful and detailed reply!

While the original question did not include converters specifically (assumed
low impedance external supplies or similar), your points about converter
circuits and their output capacitance is well taken. I'll mention another
frequently overlooked point is INPUT bypass capacitance for converters, often
it is under represented or poorly placed. But switching supply design is
another topic.

Your point about plane - plane coupling in a GND - PWR - PWR - GND stackup is
also well taken. The power planes will effectively reference each other to some
degree, bypass placement should consider this. At a minimum the overlap
arrangement should be well studied, and best simulated.

One key item in my post was possible operational failure modes due to
sub-optimal PDS design. It's worth noting while a circuit may apparently
function exactly as intended, it is could still essentially operationally
defective due to EMI issues. Thanks for bringing up EMI.

My original post was specifically not about return paths, and the GND - SIG -
SIG - GND stackup sets specified were to minimize this consideration. Of course
we know to always keep this issue at high priority, in terms of plane splits,
via stitching, bypass locations, etc. Thanks for bringing it up.

Also my thanks goes out to all the other responders to this thread. I continue
to enjoy the collective wisdom here.

Ivor