[SI-LIST] Re: PDN related

  • From: "Lynne D. Green" <lgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:09:08 -0700

Hi, Steve and Rajesh,

Enough caps of one size will work, until your signal content goes too
far past the resonance frequency.
And yes, different packages have different parasitics and different
resonance freqs.

Using a variety of (carefully selected) caps covers a wider frequency
range (several decades).
At the same time, this reduces the total number of caps needed, and
quite possibly total cost.
These days, there are EDA tools to make this easier.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Lee that there are plenty of good books
out there.  Istvan Novak's
home page lists several of them.  http://www.electrical-integrity.com/

Lynne

List technical documents are available at: