[SI-LIST] Re: PDN Measurements

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Navroop.Singh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:12:06 -0400

Navroop,

To get self impedance, you need to connect both probes
to the same location, or at least close enough so that the
phase difference between the two points is negligible
even at the highest frequency of interest.  If you choose
to connect the two probes to the same location, you need
to make sure that the coupling between the two ports
and the connection discontinuity does not swamp out
the results.  A simple way to achieve this is to connect
the two probes to the top and bottom pads of a
power-ground via pair connecting to the planes.

You can put the probes also further away; but that way you
will measure transfer characteristics, not self impedance.
So place the probes far apart when you want to measure
  the propagation of noise.

If you need more details, you can find an overview in
"Frequency Domain Power Distribution Measurements -
An Overview" from DesignCon 2003 East, posted at
http://www.electrical-integrity.com/  Or you can find
even more details in Chapters 5 and 6 of the book:
Frequency-Domain Characterization of Power Distribution
Networks.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle

On 4/24/2012 6:23 PM, Singh, Navroop wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to the area of PDN measurement. I am trying to measure
> impedance of a plane with VNA using two ports technique( S21). I have
> concern about the location of two ports on the PCB. Which is the best
> way ? Probing points close to each other or far away from each other on
> the PCB?
>
> Thanks in advance for your response.
>
> Regards,
> Navroop