[SI-LIST] Re: PCIe routing

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Girish Gopi <girish.gopi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 09:29:53 -0400

Girish,

 From your description it looks to me that you deal with a board with
sequential lamination, and two sub-composite pieces, maybe layer 1-10
and layers 11-20 are built first before gluing them together.  In any
event, the fact that your blind vias penetrate several layers will
result in a stub-notch frequency less than what you would expect just
based on the time-of-flight along the length of the via in the same
dielectric.  If you want to squeeze the most out of your design, a 3D
field solver simulations looks necessary.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems

Jory McKinley wrote:
> Hello Grish,
> Well lets see, the electrical length of the blind via you described is
> roughly 10ps.  For PCIe  gen 2 the minimum rise/fall time is 30ps so these
> vias could create impedance mismatches for your channel.  I would try and
> match as close as possible to your trace impedance with sufficient ground via
> returns.  If you are able try and model these vias in the channel with a 3D
> simulator.
> Regards,
> -Jory

List technical documents are available at: