[SI-LIST] Re: PCI IO buffer problem?

  • From: "Peterson, James F (EHCOE)" <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "todd t" <tamast@xxxxxxxxx>, "yinhongcheng" <yinhc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 08:44:33 -0400

One thing I've noticed with new CMOS drivers is that the slew rate is
usually much higher than the PCI spec allows. I measured an IBIS model
for a newer processor with a PCI interface that was 8x faster than the
fastest allowable PCI slew rate. (I told them about this, they responded
that they never claimed to be PCI compliant.)

These faster edges will eat away at timing and noise margins.

The other concern is the driver should be a relatively weak. (this is
also defined in the spec.)

Jim Peterson
Honeywell