[SI-LIST] Re: PCB layer stackup

  • From: "ChandraKanth Gajawada" <chandrakanth.gajawada@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 22:09:38 +0530

Hi All,
One basic Doubt,(May not be related to this Subject)

Do LVDS signals needs to refer GND plane (A plane in Specific!)
As differential pair has the other trace as return current,I dont think
they need for a Continous plane underneath it for reference....

Am I true with this Idea,Please clear?

Regards
Chandra kanth

On 1/9/07, Curt McNamara <CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I like stack-up 2 with the suggestion of turning one of the internal
> power planes to a ground plane. Here is why:
>
> Many times you will get lower emissions from a product by routing your
> clock traces on the outer layers (assuming they are over a ground
> plane). I first saw this in an IEEE EMC conference paper and experience
> bears it out.=20
>
> The second reason is that your devices (also sources of noise) are
> mounted on the outside of the board. In stack-up 2, this means they are
> directly over the ground layer, also increasing coupling to ground.
>
> So from an EMC perspective stack-up two (with an internal ground layer
> next to the power layer) is best.
>
>                                Curt=20
>
> Curt McNamara // senior electrical engineer=20
> Logic Product Development
> 411 Washington Ave. N. Suite 400=20
> Minneapolis, MN 55401
> T // 612.436.5178
> F // 612.672.9489=20
> www.logicpd.com
> information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is
> protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should
> copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action
> based on it, is strictly prohibited.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org