[SI-LIST] Re: PCB layer stackup

  • From: <Cortex.Chen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chandrakanth.gajawada@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:48:20 +0800

Chandra Kanth,

Simply, it's based on your viewpoint.
Generally, Even and Odd mode is defined from signal to GND (reference =
plane) and differential and common mode is between signals. For example, =
there are two transmission lines (A and B). If there are both waveforms =
(amplitudes are the same, in phase, 0 degree) are on both lines, then =
the (single-ended) impedance is called Even mode impedance, Zoe. On the =
other hand, if waveforms are out of phase, 180 degree, then the =
(single-ended) impedance is Odd mode impedance, Zoo. If coupling effect =
arises, tight coupling, Zoe is more than Zo and Zo is more than Zoo (Zoe =
> Zo > Zoo). For loose coupling, Zoe is almost similar to Zoo.

A ------
B-------

In addition, if you like to know the impedance between A and B, it's =
called common mode impedance for in phase case and the other is =
differential mode impedance for out of phase. Based on the current =
direction and equalized circuit. You could observe that common mode =
impedance is Zoe/2 and differential mode impedance is 2 Zoo.

In details, refer to the chapter 6 of high-speed signal propagation: =
advanced black magic.

Regards,

Cortex