[SI-LIST] Re: PCB Reverse Engineering

  • From: Faraydon Pakbaz <pakbazf@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michael.Nagel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 11:24:00 -0400

Well...Of course mentioning the "Reverse Engineering" raises the flag,
because
in every copyright, IP development the process of "Reverse Engineering" Is
prohibited. What I don't understand is, why such a question gets posted in
the
Si-List? You have a need? Fine! I understand! Then higher IP lawyer follow
the
legal process or what ever the legal process is, etc and get what you want.
Oh
by the way I don't buy the argument of  " vendor went belly up" because you
should always do second source and risk management. How do we know
while we advising somebody for so called  "Justifiable Reason" somebody
else is not taking advantage of information for ill purposes. The bottom
line is:
 " There is no right reason to do a wrong thing."

Regards;

Don Pakbaz

Silicon Solutions Engineering
IBM Systems & Technology Group

             "Nagel
             Michael-amn029"
             <Michael.Nagel@mo                                          To
             torola.com>               <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             si-list-bounce@fr
             eelists.org                                           Subject
                                       [SI-LIST] Re: PCB Reverse
                                       Engineering
             05/22/2006 08:12
             AM

             Please respond to
             Michael.Nagel@mot
                 orola.com

Good point  - the copyright on PCB artwork.

I agree that these situations may exist, but as Kedar did not=20
elaborate much on this, doubts are allowed.

When the company developing the board(s) goes out of business,
they leave a larger trace behind than many people imagine.
The PCB manufacturer they use has the Gerber files and I doubt that=20
they disappear immediately when the originator of these files
goes out of business.

A PCB manufacturer will not hand out the data to another company
except when the originator agrees. This is merely a question of ethics,
when customers get to know this, the PCB manufacturer is out of
business.=20

Once we are in the "middle ground" where the original manufacturer does
not
exist anymore, access to this data (which might still be in one of the
back-ups)
can be discussed.

Reverse Engineering - even with good reason - has always a bad taste,
but=20
that's my very personal view.

Michael Nagel