[SI-LIST] Re: PCB Corners - Need help finding research paper

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "DAVID CUTHBERT" <telegrapher9@xxxxxxxxx>, bdempsey85@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:18:54 -0700

I've always found it puzzling that many engineers fret over the use of
right angle bends when routing a PCB, but pay no attention to the fact that
there have always been many right angle bends in IC packages which no one
worried about- especially QFP type packages.

 Must be a case of looking where the light is good!

Might also be the result of several simulations presented from time to time
that show the field lines at a right angle bend look different from those
of a mitered corner.  These simluations are rarely, if ever, validated to
show that the difference is significant.

In any case, agonzing about the  effects of right angle bends on digital
signals is misplaced worry and often distracts ones attention form issues
that are important.

Lee Ritchey

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net