[SI-LIST] Re: On-die caps for IO supply

  • From: Bradley Henson <Bradley_Henson-NR@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Stephane Tremblay" <strembl1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 07:57:25 -0700

The last std cell design I worked on was 90nm and had a DDR2-533. The
vendor provided a scalable model for the on-die transient and IR voltage
drop. As I recall it included die and package parasitics. We added on-die
I/O capacitance until we meet the vendor's release requirements
(reasonable IMO) for on-die droop/noise. Don't remember what the
capacitance was that we ended up with per driver, but by using a special
on-die cap, we managed to get a lot more than I thought could be possible.
The results looked good in the lab post-fab.  In any event, I don't see
how you can proceed without detailed simulations by you or your
semi-vendor?
best regards and good luck

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net