[SI-LIST] Re: On-Chip Parasitic C & its effect on R

  • From: "DAVID CUTHBERT" <telegrapher9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeetshah@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 20:03:42 -0700

Jitesh,

does your chip have ODT? I ran a frequency domain sim using an
electronic Smith Chart and adding an inductor didn't help. I'm able to
rapidly sweep various component values and did not obtain good return
loss until adding some series resistance. Of course to keep the delay
low and not attentuate the signal too much this value I limited to 25
ohms. Here is the model:

12 ps, 50 ohm t-line. 50 ohm ODT shunt. 25 ohms series resistor. 400
fF shunt, 5 ohm series, 400 fF shunt.

This was modeled single-ended. Your application is differential, is
it? Also, the 25 ohm series resistor isolates the ESD circuitry. Not
good but this might lead to some more insight into this matching
problem. The ESD circuitry and driver/receiver are modeled as the 400
fF, 5 ohm, 400 fF.

    Dave Cuthbert
    Consultant

On Nov 15, 2007 5:48 PM, Jitesh Shah <jeetshah@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I am designing a flip chip package for multi-Gbps
> SerDes (6.25Gbps & above) where as a stand alone
> package, I am able to optimize the flip-chip
> interconnect structure to meet the return loss
> specification of 10dB for up to 2x the fundamental
> switching frequency i.e., 10GHz.
>
> But due to the on-chip parasitic capacitance (~800fF)
> associated with the transmit driver circuitry and the
> ESD structures around it, the chip+package return loss
> degrades significantly and violates the 10dB spec.
>
> I was hoping to design an inductor on package to
> compensate for this cap and to bring the odd-mode Z to
> 50Ohms but in the TDR profile, the impedance
> discontinuity created by the chip C and the package
> impedance discontinuity occur at different times. So
> regardless of what structural optimization I do
> on-package, it does not improve the overall
> chip+package RL performance.
>
> Can anybody shed some light on this or point me to
> some resources I can use.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jitesh Shah
> Advanced Package Design