[SI-LIST] Re: OT: ??Encoded??

  • From: "Andrew Ingraham" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 16:15:39 -0400

> What is the easiest or least painful way to read messages like the one
> below?

These messages are encoded using base64.

Base64 is a legitimate way to encode the body of email messages that may
include non-ascii text.  However, the message header is supposed to have
something in it to tell the recipient's email client that it is a base64-
encoded message and should be decoded for display.  But some messages
(on this group in particular) come without those flags in the header.  I'm
assuming they do not comply with the RFC standards for email formatting.

It also appears some email clients are smart enough to recognize the base64
coding in a message and do the decoding anyway despite the missing flag(s)
in the header.  Others, including Outlook Express, do not.  Probably because
they follow the RFC standards.

I had a stand-alone base64 decoder program that I used to run them through.
Do a search for 'base64' and you are sure to come up with a few.  (But I
don't bother anymore; I just ignore them.)

Another option, I suppose, would be to hand-edit the email header to insert
the line or two of missing information that tells your email client that
it's base64.

Or switch to an email client that can recognize it automatically.

Regards,
Andy

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: