[SI-LIST] Re: OT: ??Encoded??

  • From: Hal Murray <hmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 13:01:15 -0700

> I'm not sure exactly how the message was encoded, though I suspect it
> may be in some non-English character font. If you figure out what it
> says I'd be interested in how you did it :)

I see similar things on SI-LIST occasionally.  I usually ignore them.  (Life
is short.)

It looks like base64.  My first guess is that some mail system along the way
mangled the encoding.

The header of my copy says:

Changing the 8bit to base64 (with an editor) gets a message in English with
some junk on the end.

Google fiinds this:

     The GB2312 encoding implements GB 2312-1980, a PRC national
     standard for the encoding of simplified Chinese characters.

     Multibyte characters in the GB2312 encoding can be one byte or two bytes
     long.  GB 11383-1981 (ASCII) characters are represented by single bytes
     in the range 0x00 to 0x7F.  Simplified Chinese characters are represented
     by two bytes, both in the range 0xA1-0xFE.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:

List archives are viewable at: