[SI-LIST] Re: Negative Voltage signal Return Path

  • From: Rohit MISHRA <rohit.mishra@xxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx" <ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:16:32 +0800

Hello Vinod,

The coupling capacitor is basically working as a high pass filter and hence
decoupling dc common mode voltage of amplifier & receiver.

To understand the return path of negative swing, you should first try to
understand how series capacitor converts +ve swing to -ve swing.

To explain the concept I have drawn a figure where amplifier/driver is
connected to some resistor Rterm ( Rterm can be terminating resistor or input
resistance of receiver) through a coupling capacitor. Terminal A of capacitor
is connected to driver while terminal B to Rterm.

                                           A    B
             Vp                 -------------||-----------------
               ___

 DRIVER |   |                                              Rterm
                |   |

           0V                   --------------------------------
                                    Return Path

Case 1 :

Amplifier generates a pulse of voltage Vp,

The positive supply will charge the capacitor so

At T = 0, Voltage across Rterm = + Vp, Voltage across Capacitor = 0 Volt
At T = 5 X Time Constant, Rterm = 0 Volt, Voltage across Capacitor = +Vp (Node
A positive w.r.t B)

So after 5 X time constant, capacitor is fully charged and voltage across Rterm
is 0 V.

Case 2 :

Amplifier output goes from Vp to 0V, In this case amplifier is basically
shorting node A of capacitor with Return Path ( Assuming o/p resistance of
amplifier is zero)

At T = 0, Voltage across Rterm = Voltage across Capacitor = - Vp,

At T = 5 X Time Constant, Voltage across Rterm = Voltage across Capacitor = 0
Volt ( All energy stored in capacitor has dissipated through Rterm )

In case 1,  when amplifier output was + Vp and positive swing across receiver.

Direction of current :

driver -> capacitor -> Rterm -> Gnd(Return Path)

While in case 2, when amplifier output was 0 V and negative swing across
receiver,

Direction of current :

capacitor -> driver -> Gnd -> Rterm

Though amplifier is generating a positive pulse but receiver is seeing +ve as
well as -ve swing and current direction in case 2 is opposite to case no. 1.

Now if positive potential at return path during negative swing is bothering you
then you should understand that potential difference is just a relative
concept. To understand this take two cells A & B of 1.5 volt and connect them
in series to get total 3 Volt. Now connect two resistors across A & B. Both
resistors will see same 1.5 V, If you assume that the point where cell A & B
meets i.e. + terminal of A & -ve terminal of B is the return path of resistor,
you can see though return path is connected to +ve as well as -ve potential of
cell but still it is at same potential. That's something happening with your
board during negative swing though whole board is at same potential.

Does it clear your doubt ??

Rgds,
Rohit Mishra