[SI-LIST] Re: Need for SI Service Bureaus?

  • From: "Hassan O. Ali" <hassan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 18:43:29 -0500

Doug Brooks wrote:

> At UltraCAD we have some SI tools but have not offered SI services for
> several reasons.
>
> Among them are:
> 1.  It is difficult to set up an realistic SI analysis, especially from the
> standpoint of acquiring and assigning all the models needed for a highly
> complex board. Therefore, the customer would have to be so closely
> involved, he should already have the tool himself!

But then, not every board is complex. And not every signal integrity
analysis requires "accurate" models. In most cases, what is needed is
just "accurate" bounds of driver/receiver performance specs. All
respectable device manufacturers provide "guarantees" that their devices
would meet some performance specs. That is what an SI analyst can base
his analysis on and use as the legal "shield".

> 2.  We have not seen a significant market need among the customers we
> currently have.

A market is not just seen, it is explored ;-)

> 3.  (a biggie) This open up a whole new area of liability we are
> uncomfortable with. Suppose we say a board passes our SI analysis and then
> does not work. There are many reasons why this might happen, only a few of
> which might involve us! The dollars available for such a service vs the
> potential risk of getting involved in what the problem really is (i.e. the
> finger pointing exercise) seems disproportional. That is, it doesn't look
> like a good business risk!

P'se see my comments under (1) above.

> (and, at the risk of raising the ire of some subscribers here, one might
> try to argue that if you do the board design right, you don't NEED a tool!
> One proof of the pudding is whether your boards work after they are designed!)

Unfortunately, you'll always need SI tools (commercial or others) to be
able to design complex boards right.

Regards.

Hassan.

List archives are viewable at: