[SI-LIST] Re: Need advices

  • From: Perry Qu <perry.qu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yeec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 10:51:00 -0400

Yee:

You may want to consider broadside coupled diff pair with no reference
plane. e.g., I would propably have the following stackup:

sig1 (difflayer1 - plus)
sig2 (difflayer1 - minus)
sig3 (difflayer2 - plus)
sig4 (difflayer2 - minus)

Try to maximize the horizontal spacing between diff pairs.

Cheers

Perry

Yee Chung wrote:

> Hi SI experts,
>

> I am in the process of designing a connector and would like to get some
> idea from the experts.
>
> I need to put a PCB (4 layers sig1- ref1 - ref2 - sig2) in a connector
> to minimize the crosstalk between differential pairs. The routing will
> be microstrip edge coupled and length of the PCB is only about 500mils
> or less. (There are still lead frame between the PCB) The rise time of
> the signal is about 700ps.
>

> Here is what I am thinking
>
> 1) If I use 155ps/in for microstip line propagation delay, 1/10 of rise
> time is about 450mils. So the PCB will look like a lump   element
> instead of transmission line. Do I really need to worry about the PCB
> impedance control?
>

> 2) Let say if I do need impedance control in the PCB for 100 ohm
> differential. I calculated the impedance requirement for the regular PCB
> then I need two 10mils traces, pitch to pitch 20 mils and the reference
> plane height about 8 mils. The connector is connected to unshield
> twisted pairs cable. Since each cable pair is tight coupling to each
> other the return path will be on the other cable.
>
>  Here is what I am getting confuse, the reference plane in connector PCB
> is floating (Not connect to any ground). And the edge couple trace only
> have coupling effect about 14% to each other because the 10 mils
> spacing. If I look at the PCB itself, the impedance should be 100 ohm.
> However, the connector PCB have connected with twisted pair cable though
> the lead frame, it seems to be the return path won't be on the PCB
> reference plane much but mainly on the other differential trace. If this
> is the case will the differential impedance on the PCB still is 100 ohm?
> Do I expect to see impedance mismatch on the differential signal. I
> assume the reference plane still good for crosstalk isolation if I route
> edge couple trace on both top and bottom layer right.
>

> BTW Can any one recommend any simulation tool that is good for
> connector?
>

> I would appreciate any feedback.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Yee

> List FAQ wiki page is located at:
>
> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.org
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Perry Qu

Design & Qualification       |      600 March Road
Alcatel Canada               |      Ottawa, ON K2K 2E6, Canada

DID: (613) 7846720           |      FAX: (613) 5993642

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: