[SI-LIST] Re: NELCO N-13ep HiTg > 170C

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richard Jungert <r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 14:44:39 -0700

We're not in Kansas anymore. ( Well Eric is but that's only because he
likes watching cows spin in tornadoes. ) The days of TTL/CMOS signaling
with one end terminated at speed are long gone. So, why the drive for
such tight Z control as +/-5%? The difference in ISI energy at the
receiver between a +/-10% match and a +/-5% match for both ends
terminated signaling standards is less than 1%. Why throw any time or
money at such a small improvement?

Steve

Richard Jungert wrote:
> Steve.
>
> Yes, +/- 5% is higher, how much depends on your fab house. I would have to
> shop around if we needed lower cost.  At the time 3 years ago I was building
> test equipment and yes the board was expensive. The application we were
> working on demanded tight impedance control.
>

> BTW.
>
> This guy..
> Vince BeusanMEI Inc(949)460-9500www.mei4pcbs.comTells me in a recent email
> that his fab shop can do +/-5% all day long no problem but I have not worked
> with them in the past. Maybe these guys have an updated fab process set up
> where they can do tighter tolerance at lower cost.  Only way to find out is
> to try it.
> Richard
>

>> From: wftinghi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> To: r_jungert@xxxxxxxxxxx; bdempsey85@xxxxxxxxx; costel_t@xxxxxxxxx;
>> si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] Re: NELCO N-13ep HiTg > 170C
>> Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 10:22:01 +0800
>>
>> Richard,
>>
>> So how about the cost? I feel +/-5% tolerance impedance control will
>> increase the PCB cost a lot.
>> The most local FAB houses I worked with will increase the cost if we are
>> trying to specify tolerance less than 10% due to their worse yield rate.
>> Specifying 5% tolerance can easily double the cost according to their
>> feedbacks.
>>
>> Steve

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(866) 675-4630 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: