[SI-LIST] Metal to Metal Question

  • From: Dave Hoover <dave_hoover@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:17:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hello group.
I have a customer who has an RF metal can made of
machined Aluminum that bolts up against a PCB. At
the mating locations between the PCB and the aluminum
is selective plated Nickel Rails. That multiple
surface finish requirement has a premium ($$$$)
and I was wondering what is normal (or typical) in
the EMC industry. Do most people bolt up against Tin
Lead (against aluminum), or do they normally have the
aluminum plated with Nickel?

I did check the electromotive force charts and quite a
few finishes appear to be "out of the question".

(This is what I have found si far)
Aluminum (pure)         -0.80
Nickel                  -0.24
(Copper                 -0.34)

Tin                     -0.14
Lead                    -0.13

(Possible issues due to fretting or galvanic reaction)
Silver                  +0.80
Gold    (I didn't find gold but I know it's a + value)

Let me know what is typical in the RF Industry.

Thanks for any and all replys,

David Hoover
Field Application Engineer
Data Circuit Systems, Inc.