[SI-LIST] Re: Majic Fbaud/1667 for CDR bandwidth

  • From: "Steve Waldstein" <swldstn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'steve weir'" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:08:00 -0400

Steve,

Thanks for your answer but I'm still a little perplexed. In a PLL the loop
bandwidth typically wants to be about a factor of 10 lower than the
transition density in the reference clock to the PDF. But pushing the
bandwidth lower will allow a noiser (more jitter) reference clock at the
expense of seeing increased VCO jitter. The opposite it true where you use a
higher loop bandwidth to clean up the VCO but you suffer from clock noise
passing through the loop bandwidth that causes output jitter.

I'm sure there is a similar analogy for the CDR. A lower loop bandwidth
should produce a cleaner recovered clock but makes the loop less agile to
data changes. A higher loop bandwidth makes the loop more agile but produces
more jitter on the output.

Lets use an example for discussion. XAUI has Fbaud = 3.125 Gb/s and 8b/10b
(or 10Q) encoded. Yet its corner frequency is set at 3.215/1667 = 1.87 MHz.
Is this because XAUI want to recover a clock and recreate it to some kind of
PPM accuracy similar its input spec of +/- 100 PPM? I know SONET had
repeaters in it where the clock recreation was important but on most serial
links that's not the case. So since you said Fbaud/30 was typically
sufficient to recover the day why burden the receiver with such a narrow
loop bandwidth?

Is it really related to the fact that at +/- 100 PPM one skip is inserted
every 5000 symbols so the 1667 provides margin to this by a factor of 3?

I've also seen calculation that predict the jitter of a sinusoidal
modulation of the carrier that relate to the equivalent PPM. It the corner
really set to handle this type of issue? And not ability to recover the
data?

I know these are a lot of questions but your answer doesn't help understand
why these standards have chosen such a low loop bandwitch.

Steve W.