[SI-LIST] Re: METASTABILITY

  • From: "Peterson, James F (FL51)" <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 05:49:16 -0700

Arpad,

a good point : a quick look for "metastability" in the index of my
half-dozen SI books didn't get many hits.

regarding "Most SI experts are not circuit designers" : you might be
surprised at how many of us old SI'ers are circuit designers, crossing a
clock domain or two in the past, and thus worry about metastability.
(actually, I love circuit design and use my SI skills as leverage to get
logic design opportunities - I bet I'm not the only one on this list who
does this.)

but seriously, since there is a SI-noise->timing->metastability
relationship, I think it's important for us to understand at least the
fundamentals of metastability (it's cause, how to fix it, and how to
calculate it's probability before and after the fix).

Jim
Honeywell