[SI-LIST] Loss requirements in Infiniband spec...

  • From: "ruston, matt" <ruston_matt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:26:40 -0500

All:

 Hi. I've been looking through the Infiniband 1.0a spec and need some
clarification.

1. Chapter 6, Table 17 specifies a LOSS of 2.5 dB for an adapter board, 15
dB of total loss, and (Chapter 7) 10 dB cable loss. Adapter board loss is
later defined in section 6.6.2.2 as "the maximum loss from the IC package to
the board connector is 2.5 dB at 1250 MHz, including the connector."
Footnote 2 in Table 17 and Chapter 7 (Table 21) talk about the cable loss
(Vcout) as 10 dB "measured at board connector pins with equipment and
fixture contribution de-embedded." Section 6.6.2.3 says "including the
connector loss".

What are they trying to say? The adapter board and PCB end of the connector
get 2.5 dB and the cable and it's plug side connector get 10 dB (after
compensating for the fixture's PCB end of the connector)?

2. Loss is said to be measured at 1250 MHz, but edge rates can be down to
100 pS (implying higher frequency content). Do we just lump the effects of
these higher frequency components into the deterministic jitter?

3. I assume the loss is power referenced to a 100 ohm system.

Thanks for any opinions.

Matt

List archives are viewable at: