[SI-LIST] Re: Loss Tangent

  • From: "Andrew Ingraham" <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:24:36 -0400

>  Is there a principle behind it?

In a nutshell, the property we call "dielectric constant" (permittivity or
epsilon) is a complex quantity.  The real part is associated with energy
storage, the imaginary part causes energy loss or dissipation.  Loss tangent
is one way to measure this.

An ideal good dielectric has no imaginary part.

Permeability is also a complex quantity and has a loss component too, but
loss tangent generally refers to permittivity's non-idealness.  Most
materials we use to carry electromagnetic fields have close to an ideal

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:

List archives are viewable at: