[SI-LIST] Re: Jitter transfer vs. accumulation

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: art_porter@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:23:02 -0400

Art

While I would agree that most terrestrial data communications links are
dominated by a large number of non-random processes that appear random
when taken as a whole, I would take issue with your .0005 or 700-ft tall
human analogy.  There are structural limitations for humans.  For
electronics, the charge of an electron sets a practical lower floor for
all events, but there is not an upper limit.  You wouldn't argue against
the near-Gaussian distribution of Johnson-Nyquist noise or the Poisson
distribution of and Shot noise, or their impact on receiver and control
loop design, would you?  And if you want to see 100V noise spike
outliers, just wait long enough and you'll eventually receive a nuclear
particle event.  It may not be truly random, since it was originally
based on a deterministic cataclysmic nuclear process in a star, but it
is for all practical purposes random.

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: