[SI-LIST] Re: Is Impedance Enough for Describing the PDS?

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx, silist <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:48:12 -0400

Zhangkun,

Zhangkun wrote:

>How about the value of the inductance of these kind of capacitors? When the
>cap is soldered on the PCB, there is leading inductance of about 1nH. This
>could not be eliminated by better caps.

Actually, better designed capacitors and better mounting structures do
help.  Steve and I both have developed mounting structures for some of
these capacitors that are down in the 200 pH range, with a total mounted
device inductance below 400 pH.  It's all a matter of physics and good
design practices.  With X2Y and IDC capacitors, we can obtain between a
3 and 4-to-1 part count reduction over 0603 capacitors with the best
designed mounting solution.

regards,

scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

Teraspeed is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org