[SI-LIST] Re: Interconnect Simulations-V2

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:15:00 -0700 (PDT)

>If I remember correctly, and its been over 20 years since I've seen this,
>but a 2 pole Gaussian low pass filter that is critically damped is the basis
>for this number.  That is the response that scope designers were trying to
>design to.
>
>Tom Dagostino

Which is where the common expression for the BW of a cascaded system
(say a scope and a probe) came from. The sqrt of the sum of the squares
formula, BW_sys = 1/SQRT(1/scope_bw^2 + 1/probe_bw^2), depends on the
bandwidths of the system parts being assumed to have a gaussian frequency
response.

Today (as opposed to 20 years ago) high performance scopes (and
probes) are usually designed to have a maximally flat frequency response.
With the max flat response, the BW_sys = MIN(components_bw) as a 1st order
approximation. (the composite BW is defined by the narrowest BW in the
cascade)

-Ray Anderson

List archives are viewable at: