[SI-LIST] Re: Initial Delays in V-t Rise/Fall Curves in IBIS

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 07:00:06 -0700

Pugazh,

The initial delays in V-t curves represent the delay across the buffer
from the time the stimulus switches to the time when the output changes.
This delay is not very useful because it all depends on how many of
the pre-driver circuitry is included in the transistor model from which
you are extracting the V-t curves.  We usually don't use this delay in
SI simulations, because flight times are usually calculated from a
waveform which is driven by a buffer loaded with the test load that is
used for the Tco specification of the buffer.

You can safely remove this delay time from the V-t tables, but be
careful
to remove the same absolute amount from all of the tables.  You cannot
remove different amounts because that will upset the on/off switching
relationships of the pullup and pulldown structures.

To answer why these delays are there in the IBIS models, I have to say
that it depends.  There are times when the model makers are forced to
remove these delays because otherwise the transition would not fit into
the bit time window and the IBIS model would become over-clocked.
When this is not a problem, it is simply a matter of choice to leave
these delays in the V-t tables.  It is easier not have to remove the
delay, so by default people would naturally leave it that way.

Removing this delay will not have an effect on Setup and Hold timings
at all (if those measurements are done correctly).

The delays do not "have to be" removed normally, only if the transition
time (edge rate) of the buffer is relatively slow with respect to the
bit time which would cause the model to be over clocked at its normal
operating frequency.

I hope this helps your understanding of the problem.

Arpad
===