[SI-LIST] Re: Impedance calculation of asymmetric coupled lines?

  • From: "john lipsius" <johnlipsius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dgun@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:37:49 -0700

All,

I think there's some lack of definition here, and so some bit errors :-).
See gigatest.com for simple, clarifying tutorial on this.

1. hfchen is, I think, correct.  Zeven is a quantity reflecting even mode
driving a
    pair, not defined for a single conductor or a property of a single one.

2. Perhaps what DG intends is that Z11 isn't equal to Z22?  I suspect it
    since he appears to mean one trace closer to ref. plane than the other,
    but the two are still *uniform*.   In that case, they are *still*
symmetrical
    but the Zeven and Zodd (for the pair) are changed; there's now a mixture of
    the two signal modes, odd and even.  Therefore, terminations would have to
change
    (over the Z11=Z22 case) to maintain SI.  And, "differential" and "common"
     impedance ideas still apply; they are a driving signal definition, not a
description of
     physical symmetry.  You have to terminate both impedances instead of just
the
     differential.

3. If, instead, DG means there's a non-uniformity in the pair at some point
such that
    any or all Zij change, then there's *is* a change of pair symmetry and a
change in
    Zeven and Zodd at that place.  You then have some Vdiff and Vcm reflections
    (some conversions between even and odd modes locally)-- a lack of SI then
results
    no matter what terminations are made.

Just my opinion.  Other clarification welcome.