[SI-LIST] Re: IEEE1394/Ethernet Routing Guidelines

  • From: Bill Owsley <wdowsley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: voorhies@xxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 13:20:35 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Student,  (at least this one self declared)
  Is your Dad named Rick?
  The cost of an education is very dear to those of us gray before our time due
to the effort to find the answers to your question.  However, the information
is available freely on the internet and other sources, we put it there.   And
as you have already found, there is conflicting opinions on what counts and how
to implement it.   As a masters student, I expect one of your requirements is a
demonstrated ability to use the internal gray matter.  A hint, apply AC
circuits 101 and Intro to Fields and Waves liberally to the conflicting
information, mix throughly with gray matter, rinse and repeat.  Companies pay
large sums of money to consultants and engineers to provide just those answers.

Randolph Voorhies <voorhies@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi Everyone,
I'm brand new not just to this list, but to the world of PCB production in
general. I'm currently a masters student at USC in robotics and have been
producing some relatively simple PCBs for the past few months using Eagle. I'm
now working on a fairly complex project that involves creating a custom
baseboard for an XTX module (xtx-standard.org). My formal training is in
digital electronics, computer architecture, and computer science, so when it
comes to signal integrity I'm pretty much at a loss. Does anyone know where to
find specific routing guidlines for differential pair lines such as firewire
and ethernet? I have read all sorts of conflicting advice (differential
impedence is crucial vs. differential impedence couldn't matter less, etc..),
and have had a very difficult time finding exact numbers for trace
spacing/individual trace impedence and so on. If anyone with experience has any
advice that has worked for them it would be very very very much appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Rand Voorhies

List technical documents are available at:
http://www.si-list.net