[SI-LIST] Re: IC package

  • From: "Sol Tatlow" <Sol.Tatlow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:09:35 +0200

Black is of course not only a good radiator, but a good absorber -
and since the plastic encapsulating the silicon will usually be a
heat-cured plastic, I guess it being black will make this part of
the process faster and more efficient. This along with the 'real'
reason, whatever it is, will, I'm sure, be largely based on=20
economics.

That it is a good radiator is probably more of a + side effect -
there are many chips that often require heat sinks that have
shiny bright metal cases - Xilinx Virtex II, for example. In any
case, a plastic chip body is still not terribly efficient as a heat
sink. Plus I'm sure I have seen lots of DIP ceramic packages in the
'ancient' past that are white, although my memory might be
fooling me there.

And to support Steve's original statement, there is the added bonus
that black goes with pretty much any fashion accessory ;-)

____________________________________
Sol Tatlow, M.Eng. (Oxon)
ProDesign Electronic & CAD Layout GmbH
Product Developer