[SI-LIST] IBIS simulation LVPECL

  • From: Bob Tarasewicz <Bob.Tarasewicz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 09:42:31 -0500

My simulations of an LVPECL net (apprx 3" long, 'Y' terminated just beyond
receiver) do not seem to be correlating at all with in-lab measurements.
In the past I've had very good luck with simulations agreeing pretty well
with actual scope measurements; however, this is my first experience
simulating LVPECL.  Is there a fundamental reason why perhaps IBIS models
won't model the behavior of LVPECL accurately?  Or is it that the faster
edge rate of LVPECL is highlighting flaws/limitiations in my simulation
methodolgy and/or tool?
Simulations "at the pin" as well as "at the die" show nice rising/falling
edges at the receiver.  However, scope captures with a good diff probe
show a 'step' in the rising/falling edge at the receiver.  The 'step'
looks like what one would expect halfway down a series-terminated net; not
sure why I'm seeing a 'step' with an end-terminated net.

Any guidance would be apprecitated.

Bob Tarasewicz

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net