[SI-LIST] Re: Hspice vs. Eldo

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Perry.Qu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 11:59:48 -0700

Perry, I don't think that is off-topic at all.  I think ta Synopsys
risks making the same mistake as other software vendors have in the past
of relying on a market inertial to maintain dominance, and allowing the
product to become technically uncompetitive.  Sometimes vendors can get
away with that for long periods of time before the market overcomes its
inertia and topples the dominant player.  But when it happens the same
inertia usually makes it close to impossible for the former dominant
player to ever rise back again.  Whether that will ever happen to HSPICE
I don't know.  But it is possible that something like AMS will
eventually displace it leaving Synopsys with nowhere to go.

Regards,

Steve.
QU Perry wrote:
> Off topic: I hope there is a better way than writing hspice deck in text
> editor as it's error prone when the circuit gets complex and the chance
> of getting wrong nodes/connections are high. Some kind of GUI interface
> similar to ADS/Ansoft Designer would be nice.
>
> BTW, how many IC vendors are willing to provide Spice model encrypted by
> Mentor Eldo as opposed to Synopsys ? Mentor keep telling us that we can
> ask for Eldo encrypted model but I suspect not many vendors are willing
> to entertain that.
>
> Regards
>
> Perry
>

> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=20
>
> Perry Qu=20
>
> Design & Qualification, Alcatel-Lucent Canada Inc.
>
> 600 March Road, Ottawa ON, K2K 2E6, Canada=20
>
> DID: 613-7846720  Fax: 613-5993642=20
>
> Email: perry.qu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=20
>
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=20
>
> =20

Steve Weir
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882

California office
(408) 884-3985 Business
(707) 780-1951 Fax

Main office
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

Oregon office
(503) 430-1065 Business
(503) 430-1285 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com
This e-mail contains proprietary and confidential intellectual property of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: