[SI-LIST] Re: Hspice vs. Eldo

  • From: "Tom Dagostino" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <heyfitch@xxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 12:11:05 -0700

Vadim

You make it sound so easy.  My experience is quite different.  I used to
work for an EDA company, Mentor.  We were trying to get Eldo models out of
one of the larger silicon vendor and ran into all kinds of difficulties.
They had historically supplied encrypted HSPICE models but refused to offer
Eldo models.  They had enough problems making their HSPICE models compatible
with all the different versions of HSPICE they didn't want to support
another flavor of SPICE.  When offered free tools to do it they declined.
When offered free resources to do this for them they declined. There was a
policy and the policy was NO to anything other than HSPICE.  This vendor did
not view the effort to validate models in another format as a trivial matter
and took their responsibility to provide accurate models are very important.
Differences between the HSPICE and Eldo outputs had to be understood,
explained and fixed.

I'm also reminded of a number of system vendors who tried to tie POs for ICs
to availability of IBIS models.  Many times the system vendors got the ICs
with broken promises of models.

I'm sure reality is between these two extremes in perceived effort but
perception of difficulty can stop good ideas.

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed(R) Labs
13610 SW Harness Lane
Beaverton, OR 97008