[SI-LIST] Re: How to get I/V curves in IBIS by simulation?(not using s2ibis)

  • From: "Tom Dagostino" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cat_carl@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 20:20:36 -0700

Cat

If the large currents occur between ground and Vcc then I would be
concerned. If the large currents are in the clamp areas (below ground or
above Vcc) then it is likely that the clamp diodes are not modeled correctly
in SPICE.  In many cases the clamp device model does not include the
intrinsic resistance of silicon or has some other issue.

The VT curves should only be simulated into a purely resistive load  when
making the model.  In the real application on a circuit board it is the
simulator's job to apply the reactive load to the model. That simulation
should show the response of the buffer to the reactive load.

When the buffer is in a tristate model none of the output devices should be
on.  You will see only the effects of any clamp devices that may be present.
There should be about zero current between ground and Vcc.  Below ground and
above Vcc (if a power clamp is present) you should see a classic diode
characteristic.

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
503-430-1065