[SI-LIST] Re: How they measure true RMS

  • From: Paul Levin <levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 07:19:30 -0800

Dear Andrew,

Perhaps you are thinking of the watt meter style. I still own a Weston
meter that has the voltage applied to the field coil and a sample of
the current (i.e., voltage across a shunt resistor) going through the
moving coil. In this way, the deflection is proportional to the
average value of volts x amps. If you were to apply the voltage to
both coils (through appropriate scaling factors, of course,) then the
reading would be the average value of volts x volts, or RMS voltage.

Regards,

Paul

--
Paul Levin
Senior Principal Engineer

Ingraham, Andrew wrote:

>>I was in Sears today and saw a very nice digital multimeter with * TRUE
>>RMS
>>* AC capability for $69.00  That got me thinking about HOW they measure
>>true RMS value. In the old days they passed the waveform through a
>>resistor
>>and measured the heat.
>

> In the old days of analog mechanical meters, there also was a special meter
> movement (not the usual d'Arsonval type) that would respond moderately well
> to the RMS value.  I think it had more than one coil and responded to RMS by
> way of special (nonlinear, perhaps?) magnetic characteristics.  Wish I could
> remember more, sorry.
>

>>Can a $69 multimeter have enough processing power to
>>be truly sampling and integrating the waveform to get the true RMS value?
>

> With a $5 IC, you can do almost anything.  Provided, of course, that it
> doesn't need to do it very fast.
>
> These things use a mini processor to calculate RMS.  They are probably
> accurate only for audio frequencies, maybe up to 100 KHz or a MHz or so,
> but not beyond.  They've been around for some time.
>
> It can be done faster, even with nonlinear analog circuits (limited only by
> the analog circuit's speed), but I doubt many multimeters do that.  Anyway
> most engineers hopefully wouldn't use multimeters (with clipleads) to
> measure MHz signals.  (That's a silly assumption on my part, I know.)
>
> Regards,
> Andy

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.org