[SI-LIST] Re: How good is enough(Power Integrity)

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bbolton <bbolton@xxxxxx>, zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:36:16 -0700

Bryce, a couple of additional comments:

1) A major source of frustration in the OEM world is the general dearth of
accurate decoupling requirements from the IC manufacturers.  Often the only
way to determine the actual decoupling requirements is to build up a board
with the device in question and exercise it.  I find this inexcusable, but
just the same quite common.

2) Looking at voltages can be very useful, but requires some care.  It is
easy to be misled into either a false sense of security or an incorrect
sense of panic by taking inappropriate measurements.

3) Different authors offer varying opinions about the importance of
capacitor placement.  There are a couple of factors the biggest of which
depends greatly on the Er of the plane dielectric.  If the capacitor is
within lambda / 10, which is common for FR4 boards, then placement affects
the transfer impedance at the DUT.  If the capacitor is outside lambda / 4,
then the planes behave as a transmission line and additional movement of
the capacitor has little effect, unless it lines up on a multiple of lambda
/ 4.  For odd multiples, it is possible to make the capacitor virtually
disappear.  High Er materials greatly reduce the distances versus frequency
for these cut-offs.

4) Beware of widely spaced capacitance values particularly in different
packages such as the 6.8uF and 0.01uF capacitor in your example.  In like
packages ( unlikely ), these would exhibit mounted SRF's on the order of
sqrt( 680 ) : 1 or about 25:1, more than enough to have an antiresonance
with very high Q.  For the values involved, that would tend to occur around
roughly 20MHz, a place where many digital systems have lots of energy.  In
practice the peak will be even lower, as that 6.8uF cap is most likely
going to be either a large ceramic package, or at least an 'A' box tantalum
running about 2X-3X the mounted inductance of the 0.01uF in an 0603 case.

I understand that work is underway at Xilinx to update Appnote 623.

Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: