[SI-LIST] Re: HSpice or HyperLynx

  • From: "Todd Westerhoff" <twesterh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <alexh1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:02:19 -0400

I think it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

If you want fast, flexible what-if analysis and the ability to do post-route
simulations of your actual board, then the IBIS-based tools may be right for
you.  Their strength is ease of use and integration with PCB systems.  Which
one you pick depends largely on budget, need, and the PCB system you use.

If you have models whose I/O behavior aren't that well supported by
functional modeling (very long, separate discussion), or you need to model
effects that board-level tools don't support (again, a separate discission),
then HSpice may be the answer.  HSpice is flexible, for sure, but you're
also taking on the task of coding the circuit description youself, and
trying to debug problems based on HSpice's fascinating and frequently
obscure error messages.  If you're planning to do post-route crosstalk
analysis of a board, using HSpice could prove to be quite a challenge.

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
Signal Integrity Engineer
Cisco Systems
250 Apollo Drive - Chelmsford, MA - 01824
email:twesterh@xxxxxxxxx
ph: 978-497-0272

"Why'd you have to go and make things so complicated?"

- Avril Lavigne