[SI-LIST] HSPICE Vs. IBIS models

  • From: "Gil Gafni" <gil.gafni@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Si-List" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:21:24 -0800

Hello Experts,

I would like to address this forum with a question about HSPICE and IBIS
Models.

I am working on a project where we have an IBIS model that was generated
based on the HSPICE model.
I simulated with each one of them separately and wanted to compare the
timing.

Generally - the signal are alike, the only issue is that the when I
simulate with the IBIS model the timing is lagging by about 200ps in the
Slow corner and 50ps in the Fast corner.

Here are some points about the decks:
IBIS deck-
1. Same stimulus as in the HSPICE
2. IBIS buffers
3. RLC package model
4. System model (Transmission lines, terminations and loads) same as in
the HSPICE deck.

HSPICE deck-
1. Same stimulus as in the IBIS
2. HSPICE buffers
3. HSPICE package model
4. System model (Transmission lines, terminations and loads) same as in
the HSPICE deck.

My Questions are:
1. What is a normal pass/fail criteria to compare IBIS model to the
HSPICE model
2. What methods can I use to correct the time difference?
3. Is there any "rules of thumb" for adjusting the IBIS model
4. Does anyone knows about any IBIS class?

Please bear in mind that both IBIS and HSPICE were supplied by the cell
designer.

Cheers,

Gil Gafni

List technical documents are available at: