[SI-LIST] Re: HSDD: Re: SI Position Open READ THIS!!!!

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Si-List@Freelists. Org'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:15:56 -0800

Rob,

Shouldn't have mailed your response to the list just yet...
I started to get some private replies with the guesses for
the answer.  I was beginning to feel tempted to take score
and post it to the reflector after a bunch of replies came
in...

Anyway, you are correct.  I might just add, that the speedometer
may not even have to be mechanical to exhibit this effect.  Think
about how an electronic one may work.  It would have to sample at
least two samples of whatever part's (drive shaft, etc.) position
it measures with respect to time.  Then it has to do some calculation
to display the number as the speed of the car, which also takes time...

Of course they could also put a magnet on the moving part and a coil
next to it and measure the voltage it generates as an analog signal
that is proportional to the speed of the car resulting in a real time
readout.  But even then we would still have the mass of the needle to
deal with...

Regarding the rest of your writing, and the laziness of students, I
agree, there is a problem there too.  We ALL have our share of
strengths and shortcomings, and I didn't mean to point my fingers
at the professors alone, because I have met very good ones too in
my life.  I feel I had to mention this before it got too late and
the mud began to fly around...

Arpad