[SI-LIST] Re: HSDD: Re: SI Position Open READ THIS!!!!

  • From: "Dr. John L. Prince" <prince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:17:19 -0700

>Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:06:52 -0700
>To: freeman@xxxxxxxxxxx
>From: "Dr. John L. Prince" <prince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] Re: HSDD: Re: SI Position Open READ THIS!!!!
>Cc: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>I was a graduate teaching assistant in 1968 when our department head told
the faculty about the developing pressure from ABET (the accreditation
folks) to reduce the hours for graduation from 145 to something much less.
He said at that time that the changes would occur whether we liked it or
not.  That has evolved over the years to around 128-130 hours here at UA,
including some "touchy-feely" courses.

>The pressure came from industry through ABET.  Industry now reaps what it
sowed.

>I can think of no academic who would be inclined to voluntarily reduce the
number of engineering hours required for a degree; quite the opposite is
the case.  If there are any complaints from "industry" about academics
weakening programs in this way, they are off base and come from people who
are too young or are simply unaware of what happened and where the evil
came from.  As Pogo said (I speak as an engineer who has 10 years industry
experience as well as 23 years of academic and consulting experience), "We
have met the enemy and he is us" !!!!

>John Prince
>
>At 11:07 AM 01/29/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>>Dear Howard,
>>    The situation at Rice is not unlike the situation at Purdue while I
>>was attending. When I started as a freshman engineering student, the
>>requirement for graduation was for 141 semester hours of education.
>>Before I could graduate, the pressure of open universities, drop in
>>engineering education( it was deemed by most undergraduates as too hard.
>>Also, the layoffs in 1969 due to the implosion of the aerospace industry
>>and the visual in the newspaper of a Phd. in Aeronautical engineering
>>sweeping the floor of a gas station as a part-time attendant as a
>>reminder of the corporate rewards for such hard work), and the general
>>attitude in the U.S. that we needed the war on poverty and the vietnam
>>war at the same time caused Purdue to streamline the education and
>>reduce the number of hours required to 120 hours. This  was done at the
>>expense of the engineering courses and not the required humanities. I am
>>all for both(I amassed 157 semester hours in the 8 semesters and a
>>summer session that I attended) but to weaken the programs was probably
>>a mistake.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Jim Freeman
>>

>>Howard Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Jim Freeman,
>>>
>>> I agree with you whole-heartedly that EE education is being shunted
>>> aside
>>> in favor of computer science at many universities. It's unfortunately,
>>> really, that
>>> educators have to make such decisions, but understandable of course.
>>> Out of
>>> the torrent of papers, conferences, and new information available each
>>> year they
>>> have to choose what is worthy of presentation to new students, and
>>> what has become
>>> "passe" or is available otherwise as "on-the-job" training. For
>>> example, at my
>>> alma matter Rice University I've heard rumors that the EE curriculum
>>> may soon be
>>> dropped or scaled back. From my perspective, eliminating subjects like
>>> transmission
>>> lines, electromagnetic fields, (low voltage) power distribution and
>>> interconnect
>>> modeling would be a mistake, but then I don't get to make such
>>> decisions (and I'm
>>> glad I don't have to).
>>>
>>> Clayton Paul has done a lot to popularize the teaching of EMC
>>> in colleges and universities with his textbook "Introduction to
>>> Electromagnetic
>>> Compatibility" and his persistent efforts within the IEEE to discuss
>>> EE
>>> curriculum. At this point I'm wondering who will step forward to do
>>> the same job
>>> for the field of signal integrity.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Dr. Howard Johnson, Signal Consulting Inc.,
> [...]
John L. Prince, PhD
Professor
Director,Center for Electronic Packaging Research
University of Arizona
1230 E. Speedway
Tucson, AZ 85721-0104
prince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx