[SI-LIST] Re: Ground nodes in spice

  • From: "Fabrizio Zanella" <fzanella@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rhaller@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:03:47 -0500

Thanks for your valuable comments, Bob and Scott.  I'm using Hspice, the
connector is the HSD6, and I'm using one of the differential pair two
line models, 'hsd6ab.cir'.  This model is made up of 23 cascaded
pi-sections, and contains five nodes in the following arrangement

.SUBCKT HSD6AB

+   100      101              102

+           2401             2402

I've found that using the 6x6 style connector models makes the
simulation times much too long, especially when running for 200ns or
more for eye pattern simulations.  So with this 2 line model there's
only one ground which is common for every ground pin, on both ends of
the connector.

So I'd like to refer to the accuracy issue you brought up regarding
tying both ends of a connector model to the same ground node - using
this model is this not an issue?  With this connector model, how does
the ground pass from the daughtercard to the backplane if I were to use
separate reference nodes - for example, node 10 for the card, node 20
for the backplane, etc?

Is it advisable to connect these reference nodes to each other through
an LR circuit, and if so what would be reasonable values to use?

Thanks, Fabrizio