[SI-LIST] Generic receiver equalization setting

  • From: "Havermann, Gert" <Gert.Havermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:43:02 +0200

Dear Experts,
I need to run some channel simulations, and the SPICE models don't seem
to work together. While I'm working on a solution I would like to run a
statistical channel simulation using generic driver models in ADS. These
work well, and I never had problems in the past, but this time I'm
struggeling with the correct rceiver equalization setting.
Usually I just take the number of taps and enable the adaptive
equalization, but the Silicon I have to use seems to have a different
(maybe analog) equalization. They specify max. 12dB Input equalization.

In ADS I can choose the RX-equalizer to be: CTLE (setting poles and
zeros), FFE (setting pre and postcursor Taps) and/or DFE (setting Taps).

Now my question is: Which one to choose, and how to setup 12dB? Is there
any convertion algorithm or table saying e.g. "12dB=xTaps DFE"?

Any help or link to useful information to equalization papers or
appnotes is appreciated.

Many thanks

BR
Gert

Absender ist HARTING Electronics GmbH & Co. KG; Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Espelkamp; Registergericht: Bad Oeynhausen; Register-Nr.: HRA 5596; persönlich
haftende Gesellschafterin: HARTING Electronics Management GmbH; Sitz der
Komplementär-GmbH: Espelkamp; Registergericht der Komplementär-GmbH: Bad
Oeynhausen; Register-Nr. der Komplementär-GmbH: HRB 8808; Geschäftsführer:
Torsten Ratzmann

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: