From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Rich Peyton
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 10:22 AM
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SI-LIST] Flux

Morning All,

I jumped into a thread from Ed Miguel regarding subject: " Effects of flux
on board performance" and got a nice reply from Tom Benken ( Thanks Tom )
who sent me an article regarding

"Soldering Flux Basics" by Paul Stransky
http://www.finishing.com/Library/flux.html

I thought I'd start a new thread regarding the cleaning process of flux.
Any ideas on cleaning processes to removing flux?

We've tried cleaning tests on samples which where soldered using flux less
( No Clean ) solder.  Under our conditions the flux from the 'No Clean"
solder is affecting our Signal Integrity at high speeds.  The flux produced
from the "No Clean" seems allot harder to clean than regular solder w/rosin
core.  One idea was to use regular rosin core solder which may be easier to
remove the contaminants with same cleaning process.

The following cleaning process tests:

*        Kester-  20/20 minutes cleaning in ultrasonic cleaner.
*        Acetone-  20/20 minutes cleaning in ultrasonic cleaner.

Signal Integrity was improved with both cleaning processes but there was a
small percentage that still had contaminates/film left behind which had
effects on high speed testing ( Kester being the worst ).

Any comments/ articles/ web info / data would be appreciated :-)

Thanks to those who reply,

Rich

List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: