[SI-LIST] Flooded Vias vs Thermal Relief

  • From: Jack Olson <pcbjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:43:50 -0500

Greetings,
I am being instructed to flood all vias instead of using thermal relief, to
get a "better" connection to planes. I've typically used thermal reliefs
simply because they are easier to see in checking or design reviews (but its
only one mouse click for me to change them so I'm not really complaining).

but it got me thinking.....

Have any test results ever showed that spokes have a significant impedance
or anything that can change circuit performance?
(and I'm referring to 12mil plated through-hole vias on boards 100MHz max)

I don't remember anyone ever talking about that.

surfin' the learnin' curve,
Jack

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net