[SI-LIST] Re: Floating Cable Shield

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 19:40:37 -0400

Hi Doug,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with the list.

Since I dont recall the original question mentioning what was the
material of the floating 'shield', this brings up some thoughts and
follow-on questions.

In EMC practice, floating clamp-on ferrite absorbers are commonly
used.  In PDN measurements I use ferrite tubes and beads around the
cables and probes for two purposes: first to improve the surface
transfer impedance of the thin flexible cables, and second to increase
the common-mode inductance so that the crossover frequency of
ground-loop problems gets pushed to lower values.  If the floating
shield is not ferromagnetic, it wont really impact inductance, but its
losses still might help?  If the floating shield is ferrormagnetic,
the inductance will also change.  Could it be that the intention of
the floating shield was to utilize the loss of the shield and/or its
optional ferromagnetic properties in a certain frequency range?

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems

List FAQ wiki page is located at: